Linking multiple social networks to the same user - possible bug

Hello,

I have been testing various use cases, and I think I discovered a strange bug.

I linked Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to my website for social login, and I am using my personal social accounts to test the login.

I first logged in with Facebook. That was good ... it created a new user.

Next, I tried Twitter. I expected that I would be logged into the same user account, however, a new user was created. I found out that Twitter does not allow email verification without being approved. That's fine ... I emailed them.

Finally, I logged in using Google+. Great! It logged me into the original account that was created with my Facebook login.

Okay ... now for the bug.

I logged out, and logged back in with Facebook. It went to the same user again ... that's good. Then, I went to the user profile after logging in with Facebook. I looked at the "Connect your account to one or more social networks." section, expecting to see both Facebook and Google+ checked. I only saw Facebook.

Next, I tried to connect Google+ to the user account using the G+ button, and I got a message "The social profile is linked to another user", which is a false reading.

Is this something you can look into? I realize that it may have to be a fix for a future release of your plugin, but I can see this become very annoying for users.

Also, I set the plugin to reject a login if the email isn't available, because I don't want multiple users created. I want to make sure that as long as the social network uses the same email address, it is always attached to the same user in WordPress.

I look forward to your reply!

Answers

• Fred_PinelFred_PinelMember
    edited September 2016
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    It appears it is a display problem of the linked accounts. The login/linking works (you would connect to the same accounts using either social accounts).

The error message comes from the distinction between (1) 'oneall linked' accounts, and (2) the option to 'link Wordpress accounts' with the same email address in the plugin settings.
    With (1), the social accounts show ticked, while with (2), the accounts are not linked by Oneall, but they just map to the same Wordpress login.
    We should clarify this so as to manage expectations ("expecting to see both Facebook and Google+ checked. I only saw Facebook"). Also, the "social profile is linked to another user" is not helpful.

We'll try to figure a correction for this.
  • Thanks for this info. Any news?

Cheers!
  • Claude_SchlesserClaude_SchlesserAdministratorOneAll Team
    This is on our todo list, but has not yet neem implemention in the plugin. Sorry!

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.