Hello,
I was hoping someone has thought about, or done this before. Is there a way to allow new users to choose a username during the social login process? Honestly, I'd love for this functionality to be available for any new user, whether they are on the login or registration page.
For your information, I will be using custom front-end login and registration forms. I will be using the OneAll shortcode on these pages to display the social login.
A person will go to the registration page, and have the option of either filling out the reg form, or clicking one of the social networks. When they click on a social network, I'd still like them to be able to choose their username.
I hope this all makes sense. Please let me know if you need clarification.
Thanks!
Answers
This makes sense, but it is not supported in the plugin.
The plugin code can be changed, with some effort, based on the empty email check and modal window.
It is a good suggestion though.
A practical way to let new users choose a username during social login is to treat the social authentication as the first step, then redirect newly created accounts to a short profile-completion screen where the user can enter and validate a unique username before the registration process is finalized. This approach works well with custom WordPress login and registration forms because the social provider can supply basic account information while your site handles the username selection separately. You could even show a live availability check and use an example such as Bói Tình Yêu to demonstrate how a memorable brand-style username might look. This keeps the social login experience simple while giving users control over the identity they use on your website.
Yes, this is usually better handled as a two-step registration flow rather than trying to force the username selection directly into the social provider's authentication screen.
The social login should first authenticate the user and return the profile information. Before creating the local account, check whether the user already exists. If it’s a new account, redirect them to a short “Choose your username” step, validate that the username is available, and then complete the account creation.
This also keeps the social authentication process separate from your site's own profile fields. With a custom frontend form and OneAll shortcode, I’d look at the OneAll callback/registration flow and hook into the point where the new user is created. Existing users should bypass the username step and go straight to login.
The important part is not to use the social network's display street view name automatically as the permanent username, since it may already be taken or may not match your site's username rules.