Useless modal window for mail.ru username?

Hello,

Thanks for the plugin, it is working well so far. I have one question though. When logging in or registering with mail.ru, the plugin is asking Mail.ru username in the first modal window. I didn't get the reason for this window, regardless of what I type there, it will open regular username/password modal view next.

So my question is, what is the rationale behind this first window for username, and is there any way to skip it so that user goes directly to username/password window. Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Claude_SchlesserClaude_SchlesserAdministratorOneAll Team
    edited November 2016 Answer ✓
    Hello,

technically speaking the login happens over the public profile page of the user.
    So if your username is test, then the login is made on this page: http://openid.mail.ru/mail/test

This is why we ask you for the username.
    You can in fact enter anything, as long as the username exists it makes no difference.

We could in fact just pick any username (like the test user above) and then let everybody login through the profile page of that user.
    This however does not seem to be good practise, so that's we ask you for your username before you login.

Regards,

• Claude_SchlesserClaude_SchlesserAdministratorOneAll Team
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

thank you for the login.

At the moment we are using the OpenID endpoint for mail.ru.
    Once we change to OAuth, we will indeed be able to skip the popup asking for the username.

Regards,

Answers

• Okay, thanks. Then it is dumb requirement from mail.ru rather than your own solution. That makes sense, thanks.
  • I have just checked out mail.ru's authentication for web sites page here (it is in russian, and unfortunately I couldn't find English version), according to that page it is possible to login with OAuth 2.0 protocol by sending the following GET request:
    https://connect.mail.ru/oauth/authorize? client_id=<your_client_id>& response_type=token& redirect_uri=<redirect_url_from_your_site_which_receives_response>

Looks like with the above way, we can get rid of asking users their usernames. How do you think? Thanks.

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.