Can I restrict use to current SMF members?

I am attempting to setup the SMF login for a forum that is restricted to members only. When a student buys a course, we create an SMF login for them so they can participate in the forum. We never have a use case of someone signing up for the forum itself. Can I restrict logins to SMF existing users?

Answers

• Claude_SchlesserClaude_SchlesserAdministratorOneAll Team

Hi Caroline,

if you disable the registration of new accounts in your SMF settings,
    then the plugin should not create new users.

When the student logs in for the first time (with his username/password), he can open his profile settings and link his social network account. Once this has been done, the student can then also login with that social network account.

• Can I have a wordpress-smf site in which-

• the user creates a wordpress account via woocommerce checkout
    • that account is auto-shared to smf-forum
    • if they're logged into wordpress, they're also logged into smf forum
    • ?

Hi Caroline,

technically speaking this is possible with your SSO plugin. It provides exactly that feature. Our SSO service however requires a subscription to our silver plan. Would that be an option for you?

Regards,

• Definitely. What are the steps?

Hi Caroline

you first need to upgrade your OneAll site to Silver in order to enable SSO.

Then you need to install the SSO plugin for WordPress:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/single-sign-on-sso/

Once this has been done we will provide you the SSO plugin for SMF to connect SMF to WordPress.

Regards,

• starter, standard, advanced...?
    https://www.oneall.com/pricing-and-plans/

no silver

Hi Caroline,

there is a toggle on the top of the page to switch between personal/business plans.
    We are currently improving that page as many customers are missing it.

Here a direct link:
    https://www.oneall.com/pricing-and-plans/#business-plans

Regards,

• Thanks. OK let me make sure I've got the situation in hand before showing it to the client?

$75 month

silver plan

single sign on

will allow both WordPress and SMF users to share a single point of entry into the private, login-required areas

Based on this user guide:
    https://docs.oneall.com/services/implementation-guide/single-sign-on/

Question -
    Currently the user obtains access via purchase of a course.
    They create a WordPress username/password when checking out via WooCommerce.
    We then manually create their SMF login/password.
    As of right now, we assign the ARMember membership plan upon payment. I haven't set it up yet but it should be possible to automatically activate their membership (ARMember) in wordpress upon successful payment. It would be at this point that we want the SMF login created.

So the current process is
    user checks out
    creates user name password
    administrator on our end acknowledges payment
    administrator manually assigns the ARMember plan to their profile - this gives them wordpress private area access
    administrator manually creates SMF login/password
    administrator manually sends user both sets of credentials

Desired process is (need your help at designated spots):

user checks out
    creates user name and password
    [I will set this up] ARMember automatically assigns access plan to user upon payment verification
    [need your help] oneall creates SMF user profile using same credentials as user created in wordpress
    [need your help] WordPress (probably WooCommerce) sends user email: "Use the login/password you created when buying the course to login to [WordPress] and to [SMF], assign access to your Facebook/etc etc to stay logged in"

Is it possible for oneall to carry over the login/pass from wordpress to SMF? I have tested a bridge that did not work so I am stuck on this point.

What are the USER's steps to assign both WordPress and SMF to their social profile?

thank you!

edited July 2018

Hi Caroline,

technically speaking it works like this.

• When a user profile is created be it on SMF or WordPress, our SSO pushes the user data to your OneAll cloud repository.

• Let's say the user first signed up in SMF. When the user now goes to your WordPress, our SSO service will retrieve the data from his SMF profile (stored in the repository) and use it to create a new account in your WordPress. This happens on the fly and the user is automatically logged in.

• When the user now changes his password on WordPress, he will be able to use that same password in SMF and vice-versa.

• Technically speaking the user has an account in the WordPress database and an account in the SMF database, but our SSO services makes the transition seamless and handles both accounts as it would be one account only.

What do you mean by assigning both WordPress/SMF to the social profile?

• Re: social - I was playing with the free smf plugin, it allows me to associate my SMF login with Facebook, for example, then I use Facebook to login to SMF.

I thought the solution I was looking at for single sign on used this too.

So is that not correct?

We have one issue, the ARmember plugin has to confirm payment before giving students access to the WordPress private area as well as the SMF forum. So when OneAll pushes the userlogin to the cloud and creates the SMF login from the Wordpress login, this will give premature access to a student whose payment fails.

In fact, we have lots of users who should not have SMF access. Only students who pay for a course should get an SMF login.

#############
    user buys course via ARMember/WooCommerce/Wordpress

Wordpress accepts their login/password created at purchase as their account credentials

OneAll pushes user login/password to Cloud <<<-- problem because payment for course is not necessarily confirmed at this step

ARMember recognizes authorize.net confirmation, and adds user to WordPress private area.

Hi Caroline,

yes, Social Login is available for our free users. Social Login allows you to login with a social network and to create new SMF accounts on the fly. It will however not allow you to re-use that account info on another website. For that you need Single Sign-On.

For your solution you need an SSO plugin for WordPress and an SSO plugin for SMF. Then we slightly modify the WordPress SSO plugin so that it only pushes users to the cloud after they have purchased their account credentials.

These users can then go to your SMF and will be logged in automatically.

Best Regards,

• That's great! Can you point me to the setup instructions so I know what kind of commitment I'm making to getting this setup?

Hi Caroline,

you will need this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/single-sign-on-sso/

Once you have upgraded your plan, we will starting
    building an SSO plugin for your SMF.

Regards,

• "Then we slightly modify the WordPress SSO plugin so that it only pushes users to the cloud after they have purchased their account credentials."

By "we" you mean "you," correct?

Now, am I doing all of this?
    http://docs.oneall.com/services/implementation-guide/single-sign-on/

• create user database - different than the one wordpress already uses?
    • registration page - no, they're not registering, they're creating their profile via woocommerce
      • login page - OK!
      • account page - sticky area for us, we are using ARMember, woocommerce and wordpress, all have their own account pages. please see planetherbs.com to see how we handled it. I am not at all clear that oneall will work based on all of this, I'm sorry to ask so much of you pre-sale.
      • create callback_ handler.php-- I'm really creating all of this code? This is quite confusing since there's ALSO a plugin... very confused here.
      • adding social login -- again I have to do this as well? On WordPress? On SMF?

I could keep going through instructions and pointing out how confused I am.

I would very much like for one all to work for this client but this is crazy how disorganized I'm feeling right now.

Surely there's a more straightforward path?

Hi Caroline,

The link that you have posted is a link to our generic implementation guide. It can be used if we we do not provide a turnkey plugin.

In your case this is however not necessary. As we (OneAll) will provide you turnkey plugins for WordPress and SMF, you do not need to go through that guide, as the SSO features are already provided by these plugins.

Regards,

• Oh, that's a relief. And you will make the change required to wait for ARmember to assign the user a membership plan before giving them access to SMF?

On the assumption of "yes," I'm putting this in front of the client now. Thanks for the clarification.

• Forgot to ask, do you have any solutions for Slack?
    We have a third login/password to that we'd love to see integrated into one all.

Yes for the changes to ARmember. We do not support Slack yet, but as far as I could see they have an API that we can use. So it should be no problem to add them.

• I am beyond thrilled to hear this. I will be happy to sign up for the SIlver plan as we discussed. Once I do, what kind of time frame do you need to get me the armember and slack functionality?

Hi Caroline,

it should take more or less two weeks to create the SMF plugin and add the Slack integration. For Armember we need to have a closer look at your WordPress.

Regards,

• Claude - we spent weeks on this (you and I) at the client's request. Timing didn't work though as they put it on hold after I presented it to them. I still have hope we will be implementing this project but it won't be this month. Thank you again and for your patience.

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.