Profile picture not displaying

Hi,

The first few users who logged in have their Facebook profile picture showing no problem, but all new users don't have their profile picture showing?

I have installed Oneall v2.4.8 on phpbb 3.1.6

I also have the following extensions installed:

Email List v1.0.0
Profile Side Switcher v0.0.1
QuickReply Reloaded v1.0.0-beta5
Site logo v1.0.0
Tapatalk Plugin for php3.1 v1.2.9

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dan

Best Answers

• Fred_PinelFred_PinelMember
    edited October 2015 Answer ✓
    Hi Dan,
    We accept gif, png, jpeg only.
    Noticed that PhpBB has settings regarding avatar file sizes (ACP), min and max height and width. (not sure how PhpBB handles this though)
    If possible (PHP and GD version), our plugin resizes to meet the limits specified, when the original picture exceeds those.

Answer ✓
    Dan,
    Regarding the profile picture: not updating the pictures from the social network profile turns out to be intentional. Reason being users may not be happy with their PhpBB forum pictures being updated automatically, especially from their social network which may serve a different purpose (more private?).

Also, as mentioned, when the user goes through email validation, his profile picture is currently not downloaded from his social network profile. This is not ideal, so we are going to change it. Not sure if this was the cause of the problem you experienced.

Thanks.
    Answer ✓
    Hi Dan,
    Yes, these tables are in the SQL, in the PhpBB database.
    We'll consider adding something in our plugin though.

Yes, the github link is https://github.com/oneall/social-login-phpbb. It is from us, but more of a development repository, we usually release it from our web site, but it the source is github.

Regards.

Answers

• Hi,
    Just to be sure, you have used version OneAll v 2.4.8 from the beginning? (when users first got their pictures).

Thanks.
  • Dan_RyanDan_RyanMember
    edited October 2015
    Hi Frederic,

I have just double checked the Admin log and yes that was the only version that I have installed. I have also noticed that one of the users has changed their profile picture on Facebook and that change hasn't updated on his forum account either.

Anything I can do to test or fix it or can you guys take a look at the forum? If so, what would you need from me? The forum URL and a admin account?

Thank you!
    edited October 2015
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks.
    Yes, could you just provide us the forum URL?

Are the users without pictures from Twitter? Or otherwise have no email address in their profile, prompting the user to enter an address?
    There are limits to the picture extensions, and their sizes (not specific to our plugin). But that should be fine.

Also, we do not update the profile pictures after user account is created.

Thanks.
  • OK, That may pose a problem, as the ones who have signed up and not had their profile pic transferred will never have it updated automatically then? They will need to upload a pic manually. Also people tend to update their profile quite regularly and this was a feature I thought was already present in this extension. Is it possible to add a refresh on login it to your extension? Or at least allow Admin to refresh periodically? Even once a week would do!

The Forum is: http://forums.ukhypnosisacademy.com

I suspect the issue manifested once I installed Profile Side Switcher v0.0.1. I have disabled it and also disabled the oneall check for users to confirm their username and E-mail before the confirmation E-Mail is sent.

Thanks for looking into it!

Dan
  • Frederic,

What are the limitations to the picture types and sizes? This would be really useful to know.

Thanks,

Dan
  • Hi Frederic,

What are the optimal profile pic settings for phpbb?

Any idea why the profile pics for so many users aren't working? I think most people use jpg or png anyway, I wouldn't have thought that many would have gif's? It seems Facebook also accepts tiff's, does oneall process them in any way, or are they discarded?

Also, is it possible to incorporate a refresh for the profile picture on login or periodically (one a week by Admin or by cron job)?

Thanks,

Dan

• Frederic,

This may be connected, yes! But even if it is fixed now, how will it help the users already signed up to the forum without their profile pictures? There really needs to be an update to either pull profile pictures across on a per user basis or globally.

I would also disagree, the users want their profile picture updated especially as most are business related. So maybe having it as an optional update for those that want it as I understand some may not want it for privacy reasons as you state. Maybe give each user the option to opt into auto updates and also give the option for a manually pull of their profile picture. I think that would be the ideal setup!

Thanks,

Dan
  • Hi,
    But even if it is fixed now, how will it help the users already signed up to the forum without their profile pictures?
    Right, it won't fix the already created profiles. They can always edit their avatar manually, or:
    Maybe give each user the option to opt into auto updates and also give the option for a manually pull of their profile picture
    Yes, that sounds good. When/if this is available, users with an updated profile picture would get this picture into the forum, which would also fix the first question.

We'll see what we can do off that list!
  • Hey Frederic,

That's great to hear! I think if you can let users and Admin's do it from users profiles that would be perfect!

Thanks for you time in looking into this. I really appreciate it!

Please let me know when you have been able to incorporate them in any updates.

Thanks,

Dan
  • Hi Frederic,

I have a request for you, is there any way you can identify which users have used the Oenall method of signing up or if they have done it the traditional way?

If not, could you please add it in the next update, it would make it a lot easier when trying to troubleshoot problems.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Hi Dan,
    The table phpbb_oasl_user lists the users related to OneAll.
    The user_id column is the PhpBB user id.

Regarding adding it to the next update, not sure about this :-)
    As a side note: we've fixed the missing picture when the user goes through validation (also probably only available via github for the moment, and not yet deplayed on our site, soon)

Regards.
  • Hi Frederic,

Thanks for your reply,

Where do I find those tables? is that in SQL?

Do you have a link for the GitHub update? Is that an official release done by yourselves?

Thanks,
    Dan

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.