Account linking on phhBB forum

I've successfully linked Facebook, twitter, Disqus, and Google+ to my phbBB3 forum. It works and I can use all four to login to the forum.

I've enabled "Social Network Linking" and it works as intended with Facebook and Google+ meaning that if there is already a phpBB3 forum user with xxx@example.com email and the user has used the same email address on Facebook and Google+, it links.

However, with Disqus and twitter it does not link the user if there is already a phpBB forum user with the same email address. Instead it just creates a new user in the forum with an imaginative email address.

What am I doing from?

Thanks

Answers

• Hi,
    At first glance, this could be because when there is no email address found in the profile (as usually the case with Twitter), so the plugin can create a random one, if configured as such.
    You can change this behaviour, by configuring this setting in the ACP > extension :
    Prompt new users to validate username and email ?
    If enabled, new users will be asked to complete or review their username and email address.
    If selected, exceptional validation occurs when username is taken, email is missing, email is taken but automatic Social Linking is disabled.

Choose 'exceptional validation'.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi Frederic

Thanks for your suggestion. Where do I find this option and "extension". I don't see it in my ACP for phpBB.

And just to make it clear; I want twitter login to create a random email when there is no email to link it to. However, at the moment it does it for everyone, even if there the twitter login and phpBB login uses the same email address.
  • This setting can be found in the ACP > Extension tab, then for the OneAll Social Login settings, towards the end of the page. (for Phpbb 3.1.x, version 2.4.10 of the plugin.)

Which version of PhpBB and the plugin are you using?

• I'm using phpBB 3.0.12. I don't see the version number for the OneAll plugin in ACP.

I guess that's why (phpBB 3.0) I'm not seeing the Extension tab?
  • Ah yes, indeed, this feature exists for PhpBB 3.1.x only.
    But that is maybe not related to what you want.
    When you said:
    And just to make it clear; I want twitter login to create a random email when there is no email to link it to. However, at the moment it does it for everyone, even if there the twitter login and phpBB login uses the same email address.
    We don't understand what this means, how can the randomly created email address match an existing user's email? What are the steps you do that should cause a match?

Sorry for all the questions :-)
  • edited February 2016
    Hehe, alright let me clarify.

Have:
    - phpBB forum account with email: yes123@something.com
    - twitter account with email: yes123@something.com

But when I use OneAll to log in with twitter on the phpBB board it does not link the two. It just creates a new phpBB user account with a random email. I want it to link the two.

And whenever there is not phphBB user account with the same email address, it should of course just create a new phphBB user account with a random email address.

Even if Twitter has the email address, it will not send it to us (unless your twitter app has special permissions), so the plugin then creates a random address.
    When you mention that the Twitter email address is yes123... you know so because you have access to this twitter account, or because that was included in the plugin data? (I presume the fomer).
  • I understand now. I suspected that it had something to do with what twitter allowed access to.

Yes, because it is my own twitter account and I'm doing some testing before taking OneAll live on the forum :)

Is it the same for Disqus? Does it hide the email address?

Can I set something up in twitter or Disqus to allow the OneAll plugin to access emails?
  • Ok, thanks.
    Yes, it is the same for disqus.

For twitter, you can request whitelisting of your application. It must go through an approval procedure though. See https://twittercommunity.com/t/how-to-get-email-from-twitter-user-using-oauthtokens/558/208 for details.
  • Thanks for your help Frederic. It's much appreciated.

I'll try to look into your link.

• You're welcome. Sorry not to provide a better setup.

For what it's worth, if a user logs in with his regular account (not with Social Login), he can then link to his twitter account. Then, he will be able to login via twitter. That is a manual process though.

Best.

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.