Redirect errors with SMTP mail

Hi,

I am getting intermittent redirect errors after users log in for the first time with the Social Login plug-in. The address in the browser when the error occurs depends on where on the page the user accessed the plug-in. For example, if they did so at the comment section, the address is as follows:

http://tmibitw.com/wordpress/2016/02/quito-in-the-middle/?oa_social_login_source=comments

I have things set so that I get an email notification when a new user signs up, and the problem may be related to that.

I went through the time-honored if somewhat painful task of deactivating all other plug-ins and then adding them back in one by one. The incompatibility appears to be between Social Login and Postman SMTP Mailer (developer: Jason Hendriks). I'm not blaming either plug-in. Both might be perfectly well coded but not compatible. Or one of them might need a tweak.

To try and get a little more information, I added the code to log redirections that was provided in another thread about redirect errors in this forum. But the logs do not show any unusual error messages, just the expected redirects.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments on this. I'd ideally like to keep both plug-ins.

Thanks.

Answers

• Craig_SingerCraig_SingerMember
    edited March 2016
    As follow-up, I think the problem is actually with the OA Social Sharing plug-in, which I was also using on my website. I tried installing a few different SMTP mail plug-ins, but I got similar errors with all of them. After a few more rounds of deactivating and reactivating plug-ins, I determined that everyone plays well together (including OA Social Login and whichever SMTP plug-in I prefer) until I reactivate Social Sharing. Then I get a bunch of errors that look like this:

Warning: Illegal offset type in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas03_data01/43/2915443/html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 107

Note that these errors don't happen if I eliminate all mail plug-ins. But since a number of them trigger this behavior, I'm inclined to think that Social Sharing is the source of the problem. Don't misunderstand - I'm not suggesting it's not well-coded and well-behaved in general. But it doesn't seem to play well with mail plug-ins. I have no idea why that would be.

Thanks for any insights.
  • Fred_PinelFred_PinelMember
    edited March 2016
    Hi,

In order to troubleshoot this, could you tell us how have you set the automatic email send (with the Postman plugin?) when a user registers?

Given the error message you noticed, this could be caused by an incorrect filter added (filter name, priority) by either plugin, or custom filters.
    We'll check with our plugin in the meantime.

Thanks.
  • Fred_PinelFred_PinelMember
    edited March 2016
    Hi,
    The warning message you report is indeed caused by our Social Sharing plugin, and is related to actions/filters.
    We'll fix it shortly. Although it might be the root cause of your redirect errors.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Thanks for following up. Yes, I had the Social Login plug-in set to mail a user after registration. But even after users were successfully logged in via Social Login, other mail events (like if they subscribed to the blog or an individual post) also caused errors. Hopefully the fixes you intend to make will take care of this. I'll check back and see, since I'd still like to use your plug-ins.
  • Thanks for this information.
    Re-reading the previous post, we actually meant to that the change might not solve your problem :-(
    We'll have to keep looking.
  • Understood. But after I removed your plug-ins and installed different socials plug-ins for login and sharing, everything works without a hitch. Again, I'm not saying this means your code is at fault. And I do appreciate your follow-up.
  • So far, we had no luck in triggering redirection errors with Postman, Social Sharing and Social Login plugins. As mentioned, the fix does remove the error message you posted earlier.

What were the problems that you had (besides the error msg), were they failed redirections (if so, do you remember what the problem was) or other error messages?

Sorry for all the questions.
  • Yes, they were failed redirections resulting in HTTP 500 internal server errors. As far as I know, that often means a PHP crash. The WordPress error logs were not helpful, presumably because after such a crash the PHP logging function doesn't get called. Server logs might be helpful, but I'm on GoDaddy managed WP, and they claim that for that type of hosting, they have no logs for individual customers.

Keep in mind that the actual work of the plug-ins was getting done just fine despite the redirection errors - the users got registered and/or logged in, and the appropriate mail got sent. I'm a novice at this stuff, but the only thing I can guess is that maybe multiple plug-ins are trying to define the appropriate redirect, and somehow they're conflicting. I really don't know. Thanks.

Welcome!

Please sign in to your OneAll account to ask a new question or to contribute to the discussions.

Please click on the link below to connect to the forum with your OneAll account.